Chexw min wa halth? (How are you doing?) My ancestral name is Tsawaysia Spukwus. Halth skwile te-staas! It’s a beautiful day, today! I’d like to thank the Creator for this beautiful day! I’d like to thank the Creator for giving me the Power… giving me the Power to Create my own Day!
whose English name is known as Alice (nee Harry) Guss, is a Squamish Nation member.
My late father, ‘Ernie Harry’, Pekultn was a Hereditary Chief from the Seymour Creek area of the lower mainland of British Columbia. My family is strong, committed and active in the preservation of our Culture and Heritage.
My mom, ‘Gwen Harry’ and late Father ‘Ernie Harry’ are Squamish Nation members who has nurtured and guided their family of seven children, including Alice (Harry) Guss to participate in all aspects of First Nations culture, language, community, governance, education, traditional art forms, healing, recreation, singing, drumming, dancing and storytelling.
With over 20 years working with First Nation’s communities as a Director of Education and 15 years delivering Sacred Drum making workshops, Tsawaysia is masterful at bringing innovative learning opportunities to all people through workshops, drumming, singing, dancing and storytelling. She is a participant in healing Tribal Journeys and more recently co-produced a number of documentaries including Squamish Nation: Stories from the Heart, Tribal Journeys, During the 2010 Olympics she coordinated her Family’s Sea Going Canoe Pekultn display, in honour of her late father Ernie Harry (Pekultn).
- a Drum Making Workshop in Oahu in January 2012
- “Teachings of making a drum” via Poster Series Presentation @ ICE (Educational Conference), in Chicago, Illinois at http://www.chicagoice.org/
- went into many schools and communities in the Lower Mainland to teach the children – mini drums, cedar bark book markers, wool weave wristbands along with drumming, singing, storytelling and getting them to participate and dance.
- I can go to your office, community, school, campground, company retreat, open and closing ceremonies, team retreats, corporate workshops, etc
You can make:
1. Wool Weaving Workshop (make a headband) for $25.00
2. make a 14 inch drum with complimentary drum stick for $150.00
3. make a cedar bark headband or basket for $30.00
4. make 3-inch drum with complimentary drum stick for $15 a kit
5. make a 6-inch drum with complimentary drum stick for $30 a kit
6. Plus honorarium and gas